A balanced diet, exercise, vaccinations, and parasite prevention are all essential for keeping dogs and cats healthy. But one area of veterinary care that’s often overlooked is cat and dog teeth cleaning. With dental disease affecting a majority of adult dogs and cats, it’s more important than ever for pet owners to know about dental disease and how to prevent it. At Daleville Animal Hospital we offer professional teeth cleaning services for dogs and cats, but we can also educate you on how to keep your pet’s teeth and gums permanently healthy.
How Cat and Dog Teeth Cleanings make Dental Disease 100% Preventable
Luckily, your pet does not have to live with dental disease. With routine treatment provided to them at home and regular teeth cleanings at our hospital, they can enjoy a healthy mouth and a healthier life.
At Daleville Animal Hospital, we provide complete dental care to treat dental disease at the source, and keep it at bay for the duration of your pet’s life. This includes:
- A thorough oral exam to check for any signs of disease, such as periodontal pockets, redness, buildup, and loose teeth
- Scaling your pet’s teeth with an ultrasonic scaling tool to remove hardened plaque and tartar above and below the gum line
- Using a polishing tool to smooth the surfaces of the teeth and delay future buildup
- Providing fluoride treatment as needed to protect the teeth from buildup
- Performing tooth extractions if necessary to remove loose and/or severely damaged teeth
How to Manage Your Pet’s Dental Care at Home
Your companion’s dental care routine begins at home with you. The key is to start as early in your pet’s life as possible, so they can get used to teeth brushing and other dental care practices. Brushing their teeth daily will effectively stave off plaque and tartar buildup, and prevent infection in the mouth.
If you need help brushing your pet’s teeth, our team would be happy to give you some tips! There are also other treatment options we can provide to make your pet’s home dental care easier, such as a prescription dental diet, oral wipes, dental chews, and water additives.